Sunday, October 26, 2008

Green Acres non-race report

I was going to try the 35+ race today, so I had plenty of time to sleep in after partying the night before. By the time I got there, the fires were burning, the beer was flowing, and the B race was about to get underway. It was a bit nippy though, but I stopped at Freewheel on the way there and picked up some toe warmers and some new gloves. I pre-rode the course just before the B race (in fact, they started while I was on the back of the course, so I aborted my ride before the downhill switchbacks). Hung out by the fire and chatted and had a good time until it was our turn.

I pre-rode the course again, and this time got to try the downhill switchbacks. Good thing normally, as I slid out in a turn, and learned I'd have to take a different line. Unfortunately, I somehow bent my rear brake caliper, and couldn't get it back in order. Having brought only the basic tools, I didn't have what I needed to let some cable out so the brake wouldn't rub, and attempts to do it without the right tools just made the problem worse, resulting it futzing with it until after my race started. :(

On the other hand, I got to cheer on T3, Smithers, Frye and others who were also doing the 35+ race. Unfortunately Smithers somehow biffed it on the fast downhill toward the barriers, and eventually was carted off in an ambulance. Sounds like he bonked his noggin pretty good.

It was really too bad, because this was a sweet course that would have suited me. A serious climb/run-up, off-camber, tight turns, barriers, mud - a really great course! Props to the organizers for not making it wussy. I hope they'll do it again next year; I'll be there for sure!

Still, I had a good time and had plenty of time to talk, cheer, drink beer and generally enjoy myself. Even without racing, my $25 got me beer, food, a HED beanie and hanging out with friends. Cheaper than a night out!