Saturday, May 24, 2008

Sportsmanship

From Cyclingnews:

The Italian could easily have stayed close to the barriers to prevent Cavendish from getting through, but chose instead to ease over to the left, opening the way for the 23-year-old. "I said thanks as I went past with 100 metres to go," Cavendish revealed. "I have to say again, 'thanks.' It is great sportsmanship and we are able to see who is the fastest."

"If I would have done that I would have risked Cavendish crashing, and I prefer to be correct than to win another stage," explained Bennati. "The sprint was more adapted to Cavendish, who is very explosive. ... I am a little disappointed."
It's good to read about the positive, professional and sportmanlike aspects of pro cycling. More attention to that and less on the latest scandal would be a good thing.