Thursday, May 01, 2008

Battlestar Galactica

I've totally missed the boat on this since I don't watch TV, but girlfriend and I have been watching the new Battlestar Galactica on DVD for the past few months. Now that I'm broken, I have lots of time to nerd out on this excellent series. In case you've also missed the boat, the original Battlestar Galactica came out in 1978, riding the Star Wars/Star Trek wave. It was the most expensive television series to date, and ended up only making one season due to the production expense. It was extremely popular though, and I'm sure all you 40ish guys remember it. Amazingly, the new "reimagined" series is even better. There's a lot more drama, a lot less camp, dispenses with all the sci-fi cliche and is a truly well-done, engaging series. If you haven't at least seen the intro mini-series, you should check it out. It's not just for sci-fi fans.