Sunday, November 23, 2008

Last long ride of the year?

A balmy 40 degrees today, no snow, no wet - how can you not ride today? Took off at about 1:30, which was supposed to be the warmest part of the day (and remain so for several hours). Not wanting to overdress, I wore winter tights, Underarmor lightweight base layer, fleeced long sleeve jersey, vest, Gore gloves with polypro liners, and regular shoes with chemical warmers (no shoe covers). It was just about perfect, but I should have worn shoe covers and maybe skipped the toe warmers. Did a good 44 miles through sprawlsville - Eagan, Apple Valley(?), West St. Paul. Rode the BMC, skinny tires and all, and everything was dry for the most part. Saw a few people out within the city limits, but was surprised not to see anyone out for a longer ride. I don't expect we'll be seeing this weather again soon.

Saw a black squirrel. They must be pretty rare, because I don't see them very often. It was pretty plump.

Getting the nine-speed dialed in on the cyclocross bike before Jingle Cross. I'm so going to suck, but at least I'll be able to shift! Looking forward to a good time there. Guess we won't be seeing Chris Horner there again eh?