Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Cold-Eeze (Zinc Gluconate)

So I gave Cold-Eeze a try. On Monday during the course of the day I started feeling like I might be getting a cold, in spite of efforts to stay away from all the sickies everywhere. Sascha said I should try it. Turns out there are two studies that support its effects, namely, reducing the severity and length of the common cold. After work I picked up a bag of the lozenges at Walgreen's. It's crucial to start taking it at the first hint of cold symptoms. I took one every two to four hours as directed. I woke up in the middle of the night, so I even took one then. Yesterday the cold hit, but it was manageable. I was able to go vote and work from home. I went to bed early last night and woke up feeling pretty good this morning. I still have some lingering symptoms, but I plan on biking to work tomorrow. I've also been eating plenty, taking vitamin C and Sudafed. Maybe it's placebo, but compared to others' symtoms and duration, and my own in the past, it does seem to work as advertised. Certainly doesn't hurt anything, and it was like $4 for a bag of 24. The honey lemon flavor tasted fine, although the first sip of coffee right after tasted funny.

That's my experience, for what it's worth.