Thursday, April 03, 2008

Planting friendly seeds

I like waving while I'm out on the bike. It fosters good will among fellow racers and the general public. Today was a good day for friendly waves, lots of people out riding. Riding with my team, we were heading up to Little Italy, and I waved at a little girl on a kid's bike. It looked like her dad was on the other side of the street, because he smiled as we passed by. The little girl didn't quite seem to know how to respond, but you have to wonder what goes through her head when a friendly group of racers goes by in their matching kits and bling bikes. Maybe she'll think "I want to do that when I grow up" and a little friendliness results in the next Mara Abbott. Or maybe even just a recreational rider that enjoys life from behind handlebars instead of a TV screen. You never know.