Thursday, April 03, 2008

Morcheeba and live music

Morcheeba came to First Avenue last night. If you don't know them, they're a trip-hoppy UK band. Seeing a band live always adds an extra dimension to the music. I hadn't been to First Avenue yet either, so I experienced that bit of Minneapolis history. Still, nothing really beats that moment when you're first moved by new music. Whether (in this case) it's chilling in your condo in Portland looking out at the lush, damp green hills of the west slope, or being introduced to it by someone else, or suprised by it on the radio. Sometimes the live experience is truly amazing, like seeing Cocteau Twins in Milwaukee up close, where I saw Elizabeth Fraser slip into an otherworldly trance whenever she sang. The insights into some of the music at the Morcheeba concert added to the music, but the acoustics were not great and the band's stage presence wasn't anything special. I'm glad I went, but I think I'd rather be in that condo in Portland chilling out after a hard ride in Forest Park or making dinner with friends. Trip hop is a soundtrack to life.