Friday, December 21, 2007

WoYoPracMo

Currently I practice yoga about twice a week. I kicked it up partly for cyclocross season, for which core strength is even more important, and partly because yoga is becoming an increasingly important part of my life in general. Browsing around the web for inspiration I stumbled across WoYoPracMo:

Formerly NaYoPracMo, we're now World Yoga Practice Month. All you have to do is practice yoga every day for the month of January, 2008. From Ashtanga to Iyengar, newbies to longtime practitioners, everyone is welcome to join in the fun.
January is a perfect time to deepen the practice for several reasons: racing season is over, yoga is a welcome respite during the dark, cold month of January in Minneapolis, and the beginning of the new year could also be the beginning of a deeper, more fulfilling practice. Yoga can take many forms, from the familiar asana practice in a studio setting, to karma yoga. Whatever form it takes, it means taking time from each day refocus and try to free myself from the daily distractions of life. I think it's also important for me to take a real break from cycling, which has become an overly important part of my life since moving here, and I'm a bit burned out after a long season. Exactly what form of practice each day will take is still up in the air, but if you care or are maybe even interested in participating, join me at WoYoPracMo.