Friday, February 16, 2007

New bike!

It's team order time, and I've put myself down for a BMC SL01 Road Racer. Why get the "slow one" you ask? Well, for one it's a lot less expensive than the carbon frames. I'm also a bit of a curmudgeon when it comes to bikes, and prefer the more traditional aluminum. But it's by no means cheap or heavy. 1300 grams, lighter than last year. And it's still not entirely traditional: it has up-to-the-second carbon nanotube technology in the Firefork seatstay, the Crosslock Skeleton seat tube cluster and beefy chainstays. This should make for a lighter bike (lighter than last year), with a comfortable ride, yet stiff where it counts. Just as important, with its steeper seat tube and longer top tube, the BMC should fit my short-femured, long-torsoed body better. As it is, I have a zero setback seat post with the seat shoved forward, and a long stem to get close to a good fit. I'm going to move my Campy Veloce group over from the Basso, and either sell the Basso or use the parts I have laying around to build up a ghetto TT bike. I'll still be pack fodder on the road next year, but at least I'll look good and maybe hang onto the pack for a little longer!